Saturday 11 May 2013

Happy Moms' Day!

My strict but awesome MOM!

Meet the most wonderful woman in my life, my mom, Mrs. Josefina "Penny" Valenzuela.

My mom was always strict ever since we were kids. We weren't spared from the nagging sessions, "luhod and squat" stints, and I would always get really scared to go home after school back then because for sure, she already had discovered that I have a boyfriend. She knows instantaneously when something's troubling my mind (could also be my very transparent self) and/or when I am being bullied at school, and she would always be on my rescue. She never allowed any of her children to be compromised in any way. She's the first to cry when we are hurt and the first one to jump for joy every time we reach a milestone. More than you could imagine, she is the numero uno imbestigador in our family. No one could ever succeed keeping secrets from her. Grabe lang ang radar, or should I say, mother's instinct ng nanay ko!

Despite the fact that she is most of the time masungit and PMS-ing (sorry mommy! hehehe), there is a kind and soft heart that lies within her being a mother. What I love most about my mom is how she is willing to sacrifice 100% of herself for her family at any given day, and at any given time..... even if that meant losing her career. She gave up her blossoming Nursing career abroad early on just to be with her growing kids. A lot of times in the past when were still little, she didn't pursue with her orders at Jollibee to accomodate for my sisters who wanted their fries uplarged or an extra order of sundae. I recall her constantly shrugging  off my dad's comments (up til this day) of her repeating the same clothes as she would rather spend the money on us rather than herself. She had to endure many, many years of being apart from my dad who worked in another country just to give us, her children proper guidance. Being the most selfless person that I know, my mom sets her needs aside and puts them last in line in order to prioritise ours.

We have had plenty of dramas together and heaps of misunderstandings but I never for once doubted my mom's love to me and my sisters. I remember so vividly how I used to be so ashamed of some of my mom's ways- collecting styropores from Jollibee and sachets of chocolates, biscuits and cleaning stuff to be used as entries for this "Lottong Bahay" game portion at Eat Bulaga many years ago. Looking back, she would attend all these seminars to learn how to make tocino, siomai, dishwashing and fabric con products and I never really understood on why she had to do all of those. We were never poor. My dad worked abroad and he was earning decent money just enough to sometimes accommodate for our little requests... But thinking about all of it now, the things that I once felt ashamed for actually explains on why we lived a much comfortable life growing up. And it made a lot more sense to me now. Mommy did it all for her love for us. There is not much logic about it, but really  how many of us can lower our pride for the betterment of our children? How many of us would painstakingly come out of our comfort zones just to secure them of  having a good future?? How many of us could easily say "I'm quitting my job because my children are most important to me."? I could not even decipher on how far I am willing to sacrifice once I become a mother myself. But my mom's love for us is just so unconditional.................. it's exceptional, beyond boundaries, like no-other.

Now that I am living my own life, I'm learning to appreciate her more and I reap from the life lessons that she  has planted on me since I was a little girl. I'm sure she is proud of me now that I have grown  to be much more mature and a responsible adult. I miss my mom everyday like a child and I wish I could be with her more often. I have so many dreams for my parents and I pray everyday that I live long to serve them as my way of gratitude to their unending and unquestioning love and support to me and my siblings.

I'm sure my mommy knows she is loved by us three and I wanted to tell her that despite the challenge and hardship of having to raise us all these years and having to put up with our differences, that she could have not done it any better, because for us, she is the BEST mother that we could ever have. We glorify and thank God everyday for blessing us with a golden hearted mom that was very much influential to helping us form to the kind of persons that we are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment